Wednesday, October 21, 2015

Brownie Mallow Bars

Dear Girls,

Last weekend was busy, but we still managed to have a little fun.  Dad dragged the kitchen table out into the living room and I helped you build the most awesomest fort ever.  Seriously, it was really cool.  It's nice to know my fort-building abilities are still alive and well.  I relish these little opportunities you give me to be a kid again.

Then, once you settled inside, I served what you later called "the BEST brownies ever."


I got this recipe back when I was working as a nursing assistant.  One day the family of one my patients brought these in for all the nurses.  They told us these brownies had won best dessert recipe at a country fair.  What country fair, you ask?  I don't know.  But it didn't matter...these things were GOOD.  Because they were so incredible, we all asked for the recipe, and the family graciously faxed it over to us a few days later.

I had this recipe stashed away for years, having never tried it myself.  I'm not awesome at baking, so I tend to shy away from desserts.  But this past weekend when I came across it, I was delighted to find that I actually had all the ingredients on hand, and I was feeling a little froggy in the kitchen, so I figured why not?!  And boy, did I forget how good they are!  Quite the crowd-pleaser!

It packs a powerful chocolatey punch, able to power through your most intense sweet tooth.  The marshmallow and peanut butter break up all that chocolate fudge gooey deliciousness nicely, and the cereal adds a very nice crunch.  Your plain-Jane brownies will never suffice again.   

Enjoy!

Love,
  
Brownie Mallow Bars
(Plan ahead...needs to chill)

1 pkg fudge brownie mix (9 x 13 pan size)
1 pkg mini marshmallows
2 C semisweet chocolate chips
1 C peanut butter
1 T butter or margarine
1 1/2 C crisp rice cereal


1.  Prepare brownie batter according to package directions.  Pour into greased 9 x 13" baking pan.  Bake at 350 for 28-30 minutes.

2.  Top with marshmallows; bake 3 minutes longer.  (Marshmallows will not be completely melted.)  Cool on wire rack.

3.  In saucepan, combine chocolate chips, peanut butter, and butter.  Cook and stir over low heat until smooth.  Remove from heat; stir in cereal.  Spread over brownies.

4.  Refrigerate for 1-2 hours or until firm before cutting.


Well, what about you?  What's your favorite go-to sweet treat?  Is there a run-of-the-mill dessert that you love to vamp up?  I'd love to hear about it!  Let me know in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment