Wednesday, March 12, 2014

Spaghetti Pie

Dear Girls,

One of the first things I ever thought about doing for you was to create a "Hope Chest."  Basically, it's a collection of things that you'll need when you venture out on your own.  You know, like pots and pans, towels, a toilet brush.  (Toilet-scrubbing mom not included!)  Both Grandma Melanie and Grandma Bonnie made one up for me when I was first married.  It was awesome.

For yours though, I want to make sure you also have all the recipes you loved growing up.  I think fondly about cooking with you girls over the years and sharing what I've learned about knowing your way around the kitchen.  You know, no matter where life takes you, one thing is for certain:  you will need to eat.  And believe me, when you start out knowing how to cook, you're already way ahead of the game.  (You're welcome.)

So anyway, I think it's high time I started sharing some recipes with you.  I'm going to start with Spaghetti Pie.  This one's from Nana.  She made it for Dad growing up, so he was excited when I got the recipe and added it to our regular supper rotation.

Do you remember that first Sweetheart Dinner we had?  I made Spaghetti Pie, much to your dismay, apparently.  Jyll, you suddenly suffered from an aversion to mushrooms, and I had added them to the sauce, which caused you to push your food around on your plate and turn up your nose and whine a bunch in disgust.  Katie, you denied the fact that you liked any of the ingredients even though you've always been the best, most non-pickiest eater ever.  You both ended up being sent to bed early without enjoying any of the after-dinner festivities.  (I don't think it was the Spaghetti Pie that caused all the mayhem, but you never know.)  I chuckle when I think about that now, though at the time I was probably just as upset as you were...I had spent a lot of time and effort on that night, eager to start a new tradition for our family!

You've since learned to pick out the mushrooms or onions or cooked tomatoes or any other unsavory whatevers you aren't liking that particular week.  Why?  Because if you don't eat what Mom cooks, you go hungry.  Right?  Right.  So...here's to carrying on traditions no matter how crappy the first time turns out and to the day when you finally become a grown-up who can cook a recipe and leave out all the gross veggies that you hate.  Enjoy!

Love,
    
   
Spaghetti Pie

4 oz dried spaghetti
1 T butter
1 egg beaten
1/2 C grated Parmesan cheese
8 oz sour cream
1 C shredded mozzarella cheese
8 oz ground beef
1/2 C chopped onion
1/2 C chopped green pepper
1 clove garlic, minced
1/4 t ground basil
12 oz spaghetti sauce

  1. Cook spaghetti, al dente.  Drain well.  Return pasta to saucepan and stir in butter until melted.  Stir in egg and Parmesan.
  2. Cook beef, onion, green pepper, garlic, and basil.  Drain fat.  Stir in spaghetti sauce and heat through.
  3. Spray a 9-inch pie plate with nonstick spray.  Press spaghetti mixture into pie plate forming a "crust."  Spread sour cream on bottom and up sides of crust.  Spread meat mixture over sour cream.  Top with mozzarella.  
  4. Bake in oven at 350 degrees for about 20-25 minutes or until bubbly.  Let stand for a few minutes before serving.

1 comment: